It's hard to know what flavour of manual practitioner to see. Between Sports Massage, Physiotherapist, Osteopath and Chiropractor, what is the right option?

Ultimately it's down to personal preference or medical referral. Here I will break down the differences.

-Physiotherapists, traditionally, are less 'hands on' with their treatment of pain, using more exercise-based approaches. They sometimes refer to a Sports Massage therapist for massage work.

-Chiropractors (from chiro- ‘hand’ + Greek praktikos ‘practical’) are known for adjusting joints to improve range of motion by swiftly moving a joint out of its usual range of motion (for a brief moment) to restore better function. This usually bring about change through repetition, and it can be required to see a Chiropractor regularly (twice per week) to see an effect.

-Osteopaths (osteo - greek for 'relating to bone') are better suited to bone and nerve problems. I work closely with several osteopaths as we can often complement each other well. I have had many good results with shoulder/neck nerve issues, other than this, I would generally refer to an osteopath.

Last, but not least, Sports Massage: I am a Level 5 Remedial and Sports Massage Therapist. I can treat joint, muscle and some nerve entrapment issues through massage and supported movement, and prescribe home care advice.

I hope this helps clear things up, and if you have any questions, please send a message through my website and I can help.

10 views0 comments